Pursuant to the terms of your Collective Bargaining Agreement, the Joint Apprenticeship Training Committee initiated the Mandatory Apprentice and Permit Worker Program effective January 2, 2020. All inexperienced employees hired on or after January 2, 2020, must be sponsored and accepted into the program as either an apprentice or permit worker and must be registered through the LIUNA Chicagoland Training Fund website.
The Laborers' Apprenticeship is designed as a two-year program. A minimum of 2400 hours of on-the-job work training and 360 hours of classroom training is required over the course of two years in order to become a journeyworker. Apprentices start at 60 percent of the journeyworker's rate and progress to 70, 80, 90 and 100 percent as they fulfill specific work and training requirements. Benefits are established using the same guidelines as for journeyworkers.
Individuals interested in the Apprentice Program must be sponsored by a Signatory Contractor. The Signatory Contractor must submit an online application on your behalf.
- Must be a minimum of 17 years of age or older
- Physically able to perform the work of the trade
- Have a reading, writing, understanding and communication ability that would enable the applicant to perform the tasks of the Construction Craft Laborer in a safe manner and would allow the applicant to comprehend the subject matter taught, in English only, in related instruction. (i.e. Google Translate or similar)
- (1) High School diploma or minimum 10th grade education or higher; (2) completed a General Educational Development (GED) Program or high school equivalency program, or (3) completion of an educational equivalency exam establishing an educational aptitude sufficient to comprehend the Apprentice Program's Curriculum (as determined by the Fund)
- Possess a social security card
- Possess a valid driver's license, unless the referring Employer agrees in advance to waive this requirement
Successful applicants will be required to join the Laborers' Union.
For additional questions contact the Training Fund at (630) 653-0006.
To contact an Apprentice Coordinator, please call (630) 653-0006 ext. 200.
If you have not taken advantage of the Apprentice Program, please take a few minutes and review the attached documents. For any further information, please contact the Training Fund at 630-653-0006.